WWE will be holding their WrestleMania 39 Premium Live Event on Saturday, April 1 and Sunday, April 2 from SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, California and the company is looking to stack their card and make it the biggest WrestleMania of all time based on recent reports of who the promotion wants to bring back and the matches they want to have.
One of the matches WWE is hoping to have is for The Rock to take on Undisputed WWE Universal Champion Roman Reigns in the main event of either Night 1 or Night 2 of WrestleMania 39, but the promotion was looking to finalize the main event plans by this January and it was believed The Rock had to give WWE an answer regarding his status for The Show Of Shows prior to next month.
Dave Meltzer revealed on a recent edition of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter that The Rock’s status for WrestleMania 39 has not been set in stone yet and unless he changes his mind in the next few days since the deadline for a decision is coming up, the WWE legend won’t be competing at WWE WrestleMania 39 because he feels like he does not have enough time to get into the kind of shape he feels he needs to be in for the potential blockbuster matchup with Roman Reigns.
Meltzer also revealed that the door is definitely open for The Rock to do something in the future for the WWE, but it is also possible that they are keeping this a secret from everyone and he has no idea if The Rock has officially turned down a match at this coming April’s WrestleMania, though there were signs a few months ago that the WWE legend’s appearance at WrestleMania was less likely to happen.
This is what Dave Meltzer said:
“We were told that unless he changes his mind in the next few days, since a deadline for Mania plans is coming, that he’s indicated he won’t have time to get into the kind of shape, he feels he needs to be in to do a main event match with Roman Reigns, but kept the door open for something in the future. Of course, it is a possibility that it’s something being kept a secret from everyone.”
“I don’t know that he’s officially turned it down, but the only indication is that it was considered less likely than a few months ago.”
As previously reported, WWE had a backup plan of “The American Nightmare” Cody Rhodes facing reigning Undisputed WWE Universal Champion Roman Reigns in case The Rock couldn’t appear at WrestleMania 39.