This past Wednesday’s episode of Dynamite saw Pro Wrestling legend “The Icon” Sting get involved in a physical manner. It all started with Taz taunting the Stinger, saying the Icon relies on his baseball bat to bail him out of fights and that without that weapon Sting was nothing.
Sting then responded by throwing his jacket at Brian Cage, who suddenly attacked the Icon. Sting was able to land a number of punches before Brian Cage kicked him directly to his stomach and nailed him with a nasty powerbomb.
This is the first time Sting got physical in AEW since signing with the company about two months ago. Sting was forced to retire from active in-ring competition after suffering a neck injury during Night of Champions 2015 in his WWE Championship Match against Seth Rollins. Since then, the Stinger has not been active in in-ring competition and has not taken any bumps.
Immediately following last Wednesday’s episode of Dynamite, AEW announcer Tony Schiavone took part in an AEW Dynamite Post-Show, where he was asked why Sting, at the age of 61, was allowed by AEW to take a dangerous bump like a powerbomb. Tony Schiavone said because the Icon obviously wanted to and Sting obviously thinks it is good for business. Schiavone went on to confirm that the Stinger was OK and he is looking forward to Sting’s in-ring return, but that he was shocked and scared as to why Sting took the bump.
This is what Tony Schiavone said:
“Because he obviously wants to.” “And he obviously thinks its good for business.” “As scary as that may be, and I know what you’re getting at, he’s ok. So there you go.”
Sting is set to compete in a match when he teams up with Darby Allin to take on Team Taz’s Brian Cage and Ricky Starks in a Street Fight at AEW Revolution.
You can check out highlights of the segment in the video below, along with Tony Schiavone’s comments: